BY KELECHUKWU IRUOMAH
THE Good Governance Initiative, GGI, has called on the Federal Government to commence sensitisation on the dangers of generator fumes, lamenting that the rate at which people die as a result of generator fumes was becoming alarming in Nigeria.
This was disclosed by the President of the group, Mr. Festus Mbisiogu at an event convened in Lagos to create awareness on the risk associated with generator fumes.
Mbisiogu, who is also the Chairman of Blue Diamond Logistics, urged the government to prioritise fixing the power sector, adding that the collapsed state of the sector was responsible for what he described as the needless death of Nigerians.
In addition, he lamented that the fact the country was losing its citizens, made the need for an urgent solution to the power problem imperative.
He further said the group was ready to work together with the government to ensure that the nation achieves steady power supply, adding that the group had long proffered plausible solutions to the power crisis.
Also, he pointed out that no fewer than 3000 Nigerians die annually from ailments related to generator fumes, saying that only a quick intervention by relevant authorities would stop the trend.
Relying on a research done by the group, Mbisiougu, said: “Let me mention a few out of the litany of those, who have lost their lives from the inhalation of generator fumes. It is sad because the list is increasing annually. A businessman identified as Ayodele Megbuwawon and his teenage son, Tobi were killed by generator fumes in Iwaya area of Yaba Lagos State on May 25, 2017.
‘’Joy Odama, a 200 level student of Mass Communication Department in Cross River State University of Science and Technology allegedly died in the house of Alhaji Usman Adamu in Abuja due to generator fumes.
“A family of six was wiped out by generator fumes in Rumuosi community. Generator fumes killed three persons in Agherase Adu Street, Benin City, Edo State on May 22, 2017. Generator fumes killed a family of five in Dikenta Auvtu, Obowo Local Government Area of Imo State on April 17, 2013.
Generator fumes killed 17 people at a prayer meeting on July 16, 2008. At least 17 people believed to be family members in Isiala-Ngwa, of Abia State, who had gathered to pray for one of their own whom they said was being haunted by evil spirits died after apparently breaking noxious fumes from their power generator while asleep.
The victims were said to have fallen asleep in a room. A family of 4 died of generator fumes in Obajana area of Kogi State, August 1, 2017.’’
The post NEEDLESS DEATHS: FG should sensitise Nigerians on dangers of generator fumes appeared first on Vanguard News.