HOW SUNDAY TIMES JOURNALISTS NAILED AMOS ADAMU IN BRIBERY SCANDAL

HOW SUNDAY TIMES JOURNALISTS NAILED AMOS ADAMU IN BRIBERY SCANDAL

 Nigeria’s former FIFA member Amos Adamu has lost his appeal against a three-year ban over World Cup bid bribes.
The
ruling from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has confirmed the
FIFA ban and even said that the sanction was ‘relatively mild given the
seriousness of the offence’.
Adamu
was banned by FIFA’s ethics committee following a Sunday Times
investigation when he was secretly filmed by journalists, posing as
lobbyists, asking for 800,000 US dollars to influence his vote for the
2018 World Cup.


CAS said in its ruling: ‘The CAS
panel stressed that it was of crucial importance that top football
officials should not only be honest but should evidently and undoubtedly
be seen to be honest.
‘With
respect to the behaviour of Dr Adamu, the CAS panel was comfortably
satisfied that he was far from actively and unambiguously refusing the
improper offer set forth by the alleged lobbyists.
‘In
conclusion, the CAS arbitrators considered that the sanction imposed by
FIFA was not disproportionate and was even relatively mild given the
seriousness of the offence.’
It is the first time CAS has been called on to rule on a sanction by FIFA’s ethics committee.
Mohamed
Bin Hammam, the former FIFA member banned for life last year for
bribery, has also appealed to CAS and the hearing will take place on
April 18 and 19.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.