Stakeholders should takeover funding — NUT
LAGOS—Executive Secretary, Universal Basic Education Commission, UBEC, Dr. Hammid Bobboyi, said, yesterday, that the Federal Government has statutorily released more than N380 billion as FGN-Universal Basic Education grant as at October 31, 2017.
Bobboyi, who disclosed this at the 2017 Annual National Education Summit organised by Education Writers’ Association of Nigeria, however, stated that N303. 93 billion, representing 80 per cent of the funds, had been disbursed to 36 states and Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, leaving a balance 20 per cent unaccessed.
He also said the commission had always ensured that money disbursed was well utilised through rigorous monitoring.
Speaking on challenges faced by the commission, Bobboyi lamented that some states were exhibiting non-challant attitude towards basic education, stressing that they needed to buckle up.
He also said the commission was faced with challenges posed by over 10.5 million out-of-school children and youths, including the Almajiri and children with special needs, and getting them into basic education schools.
Meanwhile, at the summit, stakeholders in Basic Education were urged to come together to fund education at the primary school level in order to make it work.
National Chairman, Nigerian Union of Teachers, Michael Alogba, who was represented by the union’s deputy chairman in Lagos, Adedoyin Adeshina, said education was the bedrock of learning.
He also said the funding of basic primary education should be taken over from local government by stakeholders to accelerate national development.
Speaking earlier, former Edo State Commissioner for Education, Professor Ngozi Osarenren, commended the association’s members for coming up with the programme, saying the theme was apt at this point in time.
She said until stakeholders decided to give children the best education standard, the country would not be able to meet up with global practices.
According to her, admission seekers jumped into studying education because they could not meet up with cut-off marks of the initial courses they wanted to study.
However, the Professor Osarenren said mass failure in Mathematics was a result of teachers skipping some topics in the subject because they don’t know it.
“You cannot give what you don’t have. Teachers that are not versatile enough cannot teach our children,” she added.